On a whim I decided to be creative and prepare soup from scratch. I didn’t feel like following a recipe today and the baby didn’t feel like giving me mor than 10 minutes to prepare lunch.
Being Spanish, I went for the ultimate Spanish comfort food: lentils. And added paprika and garlic as an extra nod to the country. The parsnips came into play as I have a lot of them and I wanted something a bit more interesting than potatoes.
Very earthy and filling, and great for a cold winter day.
Lentils and parsnips soup
Servings: 2 large, 3 average
- Onion, 1/2 medium diced
- Parsnips, 2 diced
- Vegetable oil, 1 tablespoon
- Salt, 1 teaspoon
- Garlic powder, 1 teaspoon
- Paprika, 1 teaspoon
- Cumin, 1/2 teaspoon
- Green lentils, 1 cup
- Vegetable broth, 4 cups
- Saute the onions and parsnips with the vegetable oil, until the onion is transparent.
- Add the salt, garlic powder, paprika and cumin. Heat for 1 minute.
- Add the green lentils and vegetable broth. Let boil covered until lentils are cooked.